Procedure for Civil Rights Complaints
- Should Buxmont Academy receive a Civil Rights complaint from the complainant (e.g., parent), Buxmont Academy will do the following:
- Inform the complainant of Federal Civil Rights rules and regulations that have been established for protected classes. (A protected class is any person or group of people who are protected from discrimination based on):
- National Origin
- Provide complainant the necessary information to file a complaint, which is:
Mailing address of the USDA:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
USDA’s Telephone/Fax numbers and Email address:
(866) 632-9992 / (202) 690-7442 F/ [email protected]
Electronic link to file a civil rights complaint:
- After providing the complainant with the information on how to file a Civil Rights complaint directly at the Federal level, Buxmont Academy will attempt to resolve the complaint if it is a matter that can be resolved quickly. Resolving complaints in real-time at the lowest possible level is encouraged.If the complainant refuses to discuss the matter any further with Buxmont Academy or if the matter cannot be resolved quickly, then Buxmont Academy will:
- Reiterate the complaint filing procedures
- Document the complaint and actions taken (i.e., referral to Federal complaint procedures) in a Civil Rights complaint log that is separate from any other complaint log, (a separate Civil Rights complaint log is necessary due to confidentiality and privacy laws.
- Notify the State agency of the discussion.
If the complainant is willing to try to resolve the issue with Buxmont Academy and a satisfactory resolution is achieved, then Buxmont Academy will still remind the complainant of his/her right to file at the Federal level, if necessary. Buxmont Academy will document the complaint and actions taken (i.e., how resolution was achieved) in a log that is separate from any other complaint log and notify the State agency of the resolution.
Regardless of whether the complainant wishes to file at the Federal level, Buxmont Academy will document as much information as possible in their Civil Rights complaint log, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Date Complaint Received
- Complainant’s Name
- Complainant’s Address
- Complainant’s Telephone Number
- Complainant’s Email Address
- Allegation of Discrimination/Issue (e.g., FNS program involved, protected class(es) involved, etc.)
- Date of Alleged Discriminatory Action
Buxmont Academy will forward the information, within 5 days of receipt of complaint from complainant, to the State agency:
State Agency Civil Rights Coordinator —> State Agency Director —>
FNS Regional Office Civil Rights Contact —> FNS Headquarters Civil Rights Office —> Complainant
State Agency level will forward complaint information, within 5 days of receipt of complaint from Buxmont Academy, to the FNS regional office.
FNS team conducts complaint review and investigation, which includes contact with the complainant, State agency, sponsor, etc.
2) Additional Information:
- Complainants must file within 180 days of the alleged action
- Confidentiality is extremely important
- USDA complaint form:
- English version: